The successor to the KGB, this is Russia's primary external intelligence agency, usually translated as the "Foreign Intelligence Service".
According to a variety of published sources, the SVR included the following directorates in the 1990s.
- Directorate PR: Political Intelligence: Included seventeen departments, each responsible for different countries of the world (espionage in the USA, Canada, Latin America, etc.)
- Directorate S: Illegal Intelligence: Included thirteen departments responsible for preparing and planting "illegal agents" abroad, conducting terror operations and sabotage in foreign countries, "biological espionage", recruitment of foreign citizens on the Russian territory and other duties.
- Directorate X: Scientific and Technical Intelligence
- Directorate KR: External Counter-Intelligence: This Directorate "carries out infiltration of foreign intelligence and security services and exercises surveillance over Russian citizens abroad."
- Directorate OT: Operational and Technical Support
- Directorate R: Operational Planning and Analysis: Evaluates SVR operations abroad.
- Directorate I: Computer Service (Information and Dissemination): Analyzes and distributes intelligence data and publishes a daily current events summaries for the President.
- Directorate of Economic Intelligence